Where do I even begin? 7 years ago I quit my desk job and decided I would make art and sell it on etsy. Over the years I have made greeting cards, designed wedding invitations, created whimsical logos and illustrated a children's book. All the while I worked at drawing every single day. When Lilla Rogers announced that she and Beth designed a class for illustrators that teaches you how to make art for all the different markets (paper goods, home decor, editorial, ect.), I knew this would be a life changing opportunity. I signed up the second I could (although there was a hesitation when I found out the cost, thanks for convincing me Tammie!) And now I can't believe I am saying that the two part Make Art That Sells course has ended. I looked forward to this class more than anything this past year and it flew by in an instant.
I wrote my review of Part A over on the Aeolidia blog - you can read it here. Part B was even better! Every market covered was a market I would want to work in. Yes, even scrapbooking. And now look at me, I have five new pieces of amazing work to add to my portfolio.
Here is my final piece for the class. Party paper is a FUN market. Lilla's theme was Ukrainian Folk Art. I took my own twist on the subject and came up with this folksy garden party. During the lesson this week, Lilla noted that birds and floras do really well. So, I took that knowledge and used it to create this plate, napkin and cup set. I wanted to go out with a bang and I am pretty darn happy with it!
My work has grown leaps and bounds thanks to this course.
• I can now create work for every market and make it a denise holmes!
• I can whip up an amazing piece of art with a tight deadline. Granted there are a few sleepless nights and a heavy eye twitch going on.
• I know the best way to start an assignment - icons, icons, icons!
• I now know that a piece needs to be able to stand out even as a tiny thumbnail. Bet you never thought about that!
• I now know what art directors are looking for.
• I met a bunch of amazing, creative and talented people!
• I can see a huge difference in my work - even a difference from part A to part B!
Lilla and Beth thank you so much for this class. There is nothing else like it! Thank you Lilla for sharing all your knowledge and insightful reviews!
You can check out the class here.
Visit some other of my talented classmates Emily, Tammie and Flora.